Sunday, August 14, 2011

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam...

Wow! I know I say this all the time, but my life is just so crazy! It seems like ever since graduation I've been running a million miles a minute. I've been sleep deprived, worn down, and pushed to my limits... So lately I've tried to take a second and look around. I realized the other day that I've been living and working for tomorrow, next year, 5 years from now, and for anything but today. Once again, I've gotten caught up in the future instead of looking at the beautiful things today. So... I decided to look at some primary kids with simple lives and learn from them.

I've been so blessed to have so many little kids in my life. They are the best examples to me! Little kids have so many Christlike attributes and for some crazy reason, as we grow up we lose them and have to work to regain them. Probably one of the most Christlike people I know is my sister, Emily. She's 10 years old, and a master at patience. You can poke her, tease her, follow her around begging to play with her friends, break promises to her, (this list could go on forever...) and she still forgives. She loves everyone the same no matter what they do to her. She doesn't really yell or complain, just does as she's asked. I hope one day I can be like Emily. In fact, she has impressed me so much that I have decided I will name my first little girl Emma, after my sister, Emily, and Emma Smith, wife of Joseph Smith, Jr.

Another Christlike individual is my neighbor, Davis. He is honestly one of my favorite little boys ever. He's probably 4 or 5 and I just love him. The other day I was watching him have a nerf gun war with his friends. The two older boys had huge nerf guns that could hold 55 "bullets" and you could just go crazy shooting them. They also had little lasers that helped aim so you could shoot more accurately. Davis had this tiny little nerf gun that only held one "bullet" at a time and he had to reload it every time he shot... He didn't have anything to help him aim either. Obviously, Davis lost every time. The funny part is, he hardly even complained. He'd give his best, shoot a couple people, lose within a few seconds, and then just go sit out and wait until the next round so he could try again. I thought about how many times I complain about my circumstances when they really aren't that bad. There are people in this world that clearly have an unfair advantage and don't complain at all- they just fight with all they have and wait for the next time to try again. I have been blessed with so much, why am I always complaining? (Side note... I also love Davis because he thinks I'm smarter than his brother, Mark, and "really REALLY pretty")

Anyway, enough of my story time. I'm going to get off this computer and go enjoy the simple things in life like eating raspberries and peas out of the "ground" (garden) with my baby sister and this week try harder to really find the joyful things in my journey :)

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this post. I've been having a lot of the same thoughts lately. I especially liked your story about Davis. It's so easy to look at others and think they have an unfair advantage over you, but it's important to do the best you can with you've been given and just enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete