Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hello a year later...

Hey everyone! Sorry I dropped off the face of the planet for like a year. See, I met this boy (my husband) and things like blogging took the back seat for awhile. This will continue to be my personal blog, but if you're interested in more specific details of my life, follow our private blog (colemanandlindsey.wordpress.com). Just comment or send me your email address and I'll send you an invite to the blog!

Well I guess I'll give a few updates! I got married to the most wonderful man ever this past January. Married life is the best, but it's also different than I thought I would be. It's not like I was one of those girls that imagined this perfect fantasy marriage, nor was I the negative "marriage is about finding someone you can put up with forever" thinker. I just didn't realize how much marriage would teach me, especially so quickly.

Fairly soon after we were married I realized that I have a pride issue. I like to do everything perfectly and pride myself on being able to do multiple perfect things all at the same time. Newsflash... That's not possible. I was trying to be a full-time student, part-time employee, top-notch intern, and the "perfect housewife" that had the house cleaned, bills paid, and dinner ready the second my husband walked in the door. I was constantly apologizing to my husband over silly things like leaving my work clothes on the floor, or that the bathroom wasn't clean. This really started to take a toll on me emotionally because I felt like I wasn't measuring up. Luckily, I married a man who understood how marital relationships should work. He would say things to me like, "Why are you apologizing that dinner isn't done? You were gone all day, too, can't I help you?" or "I use these dishes, too. Shouldn't I help you wash them?" Other times, I'd be running around the house trying to make things "perfect" when he'd pick me up, set me on the couch and say, "How about we clean up later and right now we can spend some time together and talk about our day."

See... He was trying to teach me that successful relationships aren't about each person completing a list of checklist items and acting like nothing is wrong. Marriage is about working together, supporting each other, and loving unconditionally. It's about finding ways to serve one another and remembering to appreciate and acknowledge what the other does for you. Being a great wife isn't about having the bed made every morning or having dinner ready by 5:30 on the dot... It's much more than that. I'm so grateful to my sweet husband for helping me see that. 

Anyway, enough on that topic. The next big update is that I'm a college graduate. Yep, no more school. I'm one of those full-time working people. It's weird. Growing up is scary, and my anxiety problem doesn't help. Soon Coleman will be applying for grad school and we'll likely move to a new state. I'm still trying to get used to my grown-up job and missing my old job and friends so much. Don't get me wrong, I love my new job, it's just different. I've missed the boy drama, gossip, and friendship I had with the girls at my old job. On top of it, our apartment contract is up soon and we have to find a new place to live. Apartment hunting is the worst. Everything will work out just great though, I know it :)

And finally, I've been searching all over the internet to find the perfect puppy to buy my mother-in-law. In the process I've found dozens of "perfect" puppies for me. The other night I showed them all to Coleman and begged him to let me buy one. He reminded me that we're not allowed to have puppies at our apartment. So... if anyone knows of a nice, inexpensive apartment that allows pets, hook me up! 

That's all for now. Sorry for the randomness. Hopefully I'm better at updating from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment